10 May 2010

Now I take a stand

10 May 2010

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd

Dear Prime Minister

I write at a time of stress for Labor and you, with dropping support and coming up to an election. I too am disappointed with Labor. You did well with the GFC, but then you had no debts leading into it, and that was a product of Howard’s year (damn that man). You did well with the Apology and Kyoto, but they were easy. You’ve since dropped so many of your commitments, even the “greatest challenge of our time”. Conviction politician? Don’t think so. Practical politician. Yes, clearly. A politician who can argue a case, lead a country when the need is great and evident? Clearly not that. Despite the articles in the Monthly and the corny down to Earth language.

My vote has been ignored

I am of the centre left, quite moderate. I am reasonably informed and interested. My vote has been ignored – Labor has always expected it in a two-party preference. And you know what? You’ve always had it. But to avoid being taken for granted (for my electorate, for my 2nd preference, etc) I must take a stand.

Now I take a stand

Labor will not get my vote, second preference or otherwise, without these changes below. Neither will Liberals. Perhaps no-one will and it will be wasted. So be it.

Labor will not get my preference in the Senate, either. That’s important to you, because my vote may be worth something there.

Labor will get my vote if …

CLIMATE CHANGE -- Labor must present a committed and intelligent response to Climate Change. This is most likely a carbon tax, but more is required. Read James Hansen or other. This does not mean rolling over for industry. It does mean some interim limited pain, but it avoids greater pain for all our children, and establishes a long-term sustainability. Read Nicholas Stern. Disastrous change is that close.

INTERNET CENSORSHIP -- Labor must cease the dangerous move to censor the Internet. I attach a letter I sent previously to the minister, the PM, Greens and Liberals, and for which I didn’t receive one receipt. (How poor are our manners these days). I heard on the radio today Conroy saying he would come out against abused censorship. What a stupid statement. He is building the infrastructure for abuse, by him or others. I don’t care what he wishes. I care what opportunities for abuse that he establishes. This is the short end of a dangerous straw.

There are a string of other matters, too. Human Rights Act; workplace relations; immigration; poor administration (insulation, schools); school league tables; many more. But you will get my vote if you satisfy me on those two issues above: Climate Change and Internet Censorship.

If you present policies I can believe, I may give you even first preference, but it’s not looking likely.

I write as only one, but I am not alone.