05 April 2010

Godswallop

Ah, there are times I get so annoyed that I think I should start up old AginSpin again. I'm too busy, but I thought a post was required for this nonsense. The Christians are getting uppity, and they are appearing everywhere. Sadly, it's not the type that I admire and respect, but the conservative and noisy wing. Here's a Catholic contribution:

"Last century we tried godlessness on a grand scale and the effects were devastating. Nazism, Stalinism, Pol-Potism, mass murder and broken relationships: all promoted by state-imposed atheism or culture-insinuated secularism".

So is quoted Archbishop Anthony Fisher for Easter (Sydney Morning Herald, 2-4 April 2010, p.1). I guess Easter is a time of emotion for the good church hierarchy, but this is perhaps a bit over the top. Godlessness = mass murder and broken relationships? I don't want to waste time responding, but just register my annoyance and displeasure. Make what you will of it, but remember the Crusades and the church's current problems with paedophilia.

Is the conservative wing promoting his own, I wonder? A very sad commentary on the divided church. I prefer church members with less conviction and more compassion - they are around, just less well reported and more humble.

As quoted so solemnly by Jacob Bronowski on the Ascent of Man: I beseech you, in the bowels of Christ, think it possible you may be mistaken / Oliver Cromwell.